SpaceMath@NASA introduces students to the use of mathematics in today's scientific discoveries. Through press releases and other articles, we explore how many kinds of mathematics skills come together in exploring the universe. [Press Release]
- Number One on GOOGLE (space+math)
- 35,000 visitors per month
- 10 million problem downloads
- Exemplary NASA STEM resource
Math in the News
A behind-the-scenes look at the math in NASA press releases
New Math Problems from Supporting NASA Missions
Special collections of problems created for featured NASA missions and programsInSight: Seismographic station on the surface of Mars! [ Archive ]
- [ Grade 3-5 ].....Comparing the InSight Landing Area to a City Block
- [ Grade 6-8 ].....Seismic Wave Arrival Times
- [ Grade 9-12 ]...The Distance to the Martian Horizon.
- [ Grade 3-5 ].....A Scale Model of Aerosol Sizes
- [ Grade 6-8 ].....Exploring Aerosol Size, Mass and Concentration
- [ Grade 9-12 ]...Sunrise and Sunset Geometry
- [ Grade 4-7 ].....Exploring Spacecraft Systems Using Fractions
- [ Grade 8-10 ]...The Orbital Speed of the Solar Probe Plus Spacecraft
- [ Grade 9-12 ]...Having a Hot Time Near the Sun!
Van Allen Belt Probes: Exploring the Van Allen Belts! [ Archive ]
- [ Grade 3-5 ].....Electricity from Sunlight Using Solar Panels
- [ Grade 6-8 ]...Estimating the Total Mass of the Van Allen Belts
- [ Grade 9-12 ]...An Improved Model for Van Allen Belt Radiation Dose
¿Que hora es? -What time is it? - Students work with a simple Time Zone problem involving Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and Local Time in various countries.
Crateres en la Luna - Craters on the Moon - Students use a photograph of the moon's surface, and a ruler, to measure the sizes of craters on the moon, then determine the actual sizes of the craters in kilometers.
Notacion Cientifica - Scientific Notation In this exercise, students will convert some very large and very small decimal numbers into Scientific Notation form.
Conversion de Unidades - Unit Conversions Converting gallons to liters and many more fun conversions!
Calcular la Masa Molecular -Calculating Molecular Mass The structure formula of a molecule adefovir dipivoxil is presented and students count the number of atoms it contains to determine the mass of the molecule.
Un Sobrevuelo del Asteroide Lutetia -Spacecraft Views Asteroid Lutetia The surface is seen closeup to reveal hundreds of craters. Students measure the sizes of craters.
LRO ve el modulo de aterrizaje del Apolo 11 en la Luna- Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Sees Apollo-11 Lander on the Moon The spectacular image lets students measure the sizes of craters near the Apollo-11 lander, and determine from the Lander's shadow length the elevation of the sun above the horizon.